Sunday, 7 March 2010

My response letter back to LA including my Phil/Ed...

Dear Ms X

Education at Home: XX - D.O.B: XX

Thank you for your letter. I will not be returning the questionnaire included with your letter as it is not relevant to our style of education. However, please find enclosed a copy of a statement of philosophy of education including general aims and education provision. If you want further information, please contact me again. I would ask you to keep all correspondence in writing for the time being as I understand I am under no legal responsibilty to accept home visits from you.

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Bennett

A statement of philosophy of education including general aims and education provision

My philosophy of education stems from my awareness at how differently each child/young person responds to the world around them. Therefore, when considering children/young people as individuals, an education based on allowing them to follow their own interests at their own pace without the means of being formally tested seems to be the most natural direction to take.

My aim is that Lillie should reach adulthood fully equipped with the skills and flexibilty necessary to participate in contemporary society. Obviously, skills like reading, writing, maths, in addition to knowing how and where to go to access information when required is of valuable importance.

Lillie's education is not divided in to subjects. Therefore, she does not follow the National Curriculum . Neither does she follow a timetable that would limit her time spent on tasks. Her learning is a full time process suitable to her ability and aptitude. She has the freedom to follow her own interests and activities, which all have educational value. This is done at her own pace which makes for a better understanding and the opportunity for her to explore further if she chooses to. I do not need confirmation to see how she is progressing by formally testing her. Being a full time parent offering one-to-one support and guidance, I can easily observe where she is making progress. Any work Lillie produces is her own private property. Therefore, she is not required to share it with anyone.

The resources available to Lillie include practical equipment, access to a computer/Internet, a wide range of books, the library, TV programmes, various genres of music, access to musical instruments, visits/outings that support her interests and continuous commitment, support, guidance and encouragement from me.

When Lillie is ready to think about her future career, she will be supported and encouraged to research what qualifications are necessary. I will contact the relevant examination boards to find out about the requirements for independent candidates. If Lillie decides to go in to higher education, again she will be supported and encouraged to research the necessary entry requirements.

Lillie socialises with other adults, young people and children. She has regular contact with family members. She is a familiar face in the community and is confident to approach and engage in conversation with adults, young people and children who so happen to cross her path while visiting places of interest, parks, retail outlets and so forth. She also attends Girls' Brigade on a weekly basis, with the addition of having the opportunity to attend Sunday Parade, usually held on the first sunday of each month.

I do not keep a record/diary on work Lillie has completed. Lillie's work is her own private property that she decides to work on, as and when she chooses to. However, I have been a frequent Blogger since the start of 2008. My posts are based on our lives as a Home Educating family. This is my own personal Blog, where I have the option to choose who follows it or not. Therefore, I am not obliged to share any further details regarding it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you again to a fellow Home Educator for taking the time to read through all of the above and offer valuable advice regarding this matter. The above letter etc will be put in the post tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Great letter - very clearly and articulately put. I've not had to deal with the authorities (yet!) and am kind of dreading that day. We just need to show confidence that we know what we're doing is right for our child I suppose, and you've certainly achieved that. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kara - I know how you feel about dreading the day when you have to deal with the LA. The letter/questionnaire I received from them was friendly enough, yet very assumptive and kinda patronising in parts. So be prepared for much of the same if and when you hear from your LA. x

    ReplyDelete