The first question I am asked about HEdding is about socialisation? Its shocking to discover how so many people think HE'd kids lose out on having peers! Hello - most HE'd kids have families just like school children! They also go to clubs, swimming, go out to eat, shopping, take holidays & attend birthday parties! In fact a HE'd kid may possibly have a better social life than school children - people tend to have more time for them for a start! This attitude of others is great, as this interaction with people of 'all' ages fits the philosophy for many HEdding families aswell as to follow the child's pace, ability & interests.
Philosophy also extends to the approach. Is it 'autonomous' or 'structured'? Personally, I believe there is no distinctive divide & that they are actually linked to each other! Most activities whether they are academic or otherwise requires a level of organisation. Therefore, structure. I am also aware that some HEdding families express their approach as 'formal' or 'informal'. Again, I believe the two should work together. You cannot just be 'yourself' in every situation!
Despite my feelings & attitudes regarding Home Education, the real meaning of HEdding is that each family has the right to provide their child(ren) with the education that they feel is right. There is no one way & it makes for a better world when there is difference & it is accepted.
No comments:
Post a Comment