Over the past week and not for the first time, Lillie and I have been discussing having a home tutor once a week, for half an hour (alternated) to start with for maths and english lessons. Lillie has also mentioned a music tutor.
I do not feel inadequate with working one-to-one with Lillie on any subject matter that's suitable for her individual interests and abilities. However, we both feel it would be beneficial for her to have a qualified tutor who may enhance her learning and offer her educational challenges in a formal, yet fun way. We tend to veer mostly to informal learning, so a mix of the two may be good experience for her. Plus, preparation for when the time comes to spend time studying towards GCSEs (Oxford Open Learning/Home Schooling) in the future, rather than just expect her to get on with it! Might be too much of a culture shock if unprepared, though I could be wrong. But, no harm in trying for a little preparation. I was told on my first OU module, that "preparation is the key to success". I have to admit that I agree 100% with this, from my own personal experience with student life and indeed across the whole board of my life. But, we can only wait to see if the same works for Lillie.
So, this afternoon, after work and us both popping to local shops, I've had a little browse on the internet. I have found one company that offers home tuition locally tutors4kids They offer key stage levels in many subjects, fees are managable and have submitted an interest. Now awaiting a phone call or email regarding lessons and times and have mentioned Lillie is HE. It may take a short while for the said company to locate a tutor(s). But, we have other searches to make so the right tutor is found.
I've also set my FB status with an enquiry regarding this, having teachers and parents on my friends list may be able to point me in the direction of a good tutor. I had one old school pal who is a qualified teacher, mention she would offer her services, if she lived nearer. Wish she did too...
Lillie states she is looking forward to having a tutor(s) and no doubt will do herself proud. And of course, Mummy here will be feeling the same about her too :o)
UPDATE: I received an email from tutors4kids They informed me that they do not presently have tutors in my area able to teach home-educated children.
Oh, right. Okay then.... Moving on!
UPDATE: 16/05/12 - I've also registered for a home tutor(s) for said subjects on childcare.co.uk and hometutors.org.uk Determined to get there in the end! I have to be careful to. Hence, qualified teacher and one that holds a recent Enhanced Disclosure CRB document.
So, still heading in that direction... Just a question of time...
UPDATE: 20/05/12 - I've had a potentially positive enquiry amongst the interest into my recent endeavour to find a more than suitable home tutor for Lillie! Applicant has good profile - experience, CRB check, first aid, various subjects to teach including maths and english. I shall be making a call tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment