I've begun to question whether I should continue to publicly 'blog' about our life, inclusive of Home Education. Home Education was indeed the reason why this blog started way back in 2008! However, Lillie is growing up and fast. She has not made any suggestion for me to quit sharing snippets of our life for all the world to read, but I do believe the time will come, sooner rather than later (Mumma trying to hold on to her baby here) where it should be up to Lillie to take over, with sharing her own life publicly, if she opts to do so.
One of the many, many reasons I took the pathway that led to Home Educating was to show my daughter that life has many possibilities - academically, creatively, socially, economically, culturally and spiritually and that the 'school system' is not the only place that offers such possibilities throughout a young person's primary and senior years and beyond.
Lillie clearly understands that she is becoming her own person and that soon enough she gets to solely choose what's right for 'her' life. Isn't that what independence is about? Yes, she is only 11 and of course my role will continue to guide, support, protect and provide for her. I know the kind of mother I am so I also know that I will always be the way I am with Lillie forever because I am her Mum and love her with all my heart, soul and spirit. I am this way with my son, who is 23! To me, a Mum doesn't stop being who they are to their offspring just because their child has grown, aged, flown the nest and so forth.
However, I am aware when a child of mine is moving into a new direction. Lillie is showing signs of this. We have many discussions about the future and her maturity is evident in many ways. She has dreams, ambition and enthusiasm. She indicates her desire for more independence with ideas and suggestions she puts to me.
So, maybe it is almost time to either update this blog two or three times a year or stop altogether? Or begin a solely private one, where Lillie, myself and our family and friends can look back over it like most families do with a photo album. Afterall, my intention was to home educate Lillie through the 'primary school years' and then offer Lillie the option to continue on with this way of life or attend 'secondary school'. If it had been the latter, this blog would have served its purpose as my decision to HE throughout the 'primary school' years would have ceased. Lillie chose to continue on with being 'educated at home'. Therefore, surely the choice to share this way of life publicly should still be up to Lillie too.
I think I may have just answered my own question... This blog will remain public. Who knows, it may be of inspiration to others who opt for the Home Edding way of life. It truly is an amazing one. Clicking the 'publish' link is going to be difficult and I feel emotional right now, but I know it's the right thing to do, just like Home Education was and still is for my amazing daughter....
No comments:
Post a Comment