Tuesday, 9 September 2008

Ive had to create a timetable!

When I first decided to take the HEdding route I kind of stuck to a timetable and a daily record of what Lillie's day had been like educationally. I soon discovered she was actually 'learning' all of the time and I began to feel like I was in a 'teaching role', rather than being 'just' Mummy and providing her with the educational resources and life skills needed for her to reach her maximum potential. So I ditched the timetable and switched to complete flexi-time! I would say now that for my child the switch was not a good move. I think it has provided Lillie with the opportunity to discontinue developing her listening skills, be frequently tired and irritable.

In previous posts I have mentioned that Lillie was becoming increasingly difficult to settle at bedtimes, so I eventually left her to decide for herself when she goes to bed. However, she was having to be up in her room at 7pm each evening. This worked a treat to begin with, but then tiredness catches up frequently, followed by the irritables setting in, as well as the regular tears and tantrums, and yes on both sides, lol...

Its not just been the bedtimes that have been troublesome, but Lillie's ability to listen to simple requests have been, lets say tough going at times. For example, she knows particular belongings of mine are out of bounds to her, such as my perfume, my hair/skin care products, but she insists on being sneaky and finding ways to experiment with these products! Yes, it may appear amusing at times, but it gets a little too much when you have to keep replacing things unnecessarily! Or hide them, which I really do not like doing.

So I feel that creating a timetable may be beneficial 'for now'. I feel it may alleviate some of the conflict in our home, save time for even more fun and both of us get a good nights sleep more often!! As a parent I wouldnt let Lillie eat sweets all day or play with the kitchen knives, so I think its time to go back to basics regarding certain issues such as developing Lillie's listening skills a little more, having a set bedtime, engaging in high energy activities in the mornings and allocating the low energy ones to the afternoons.

I can still provide Lillie with the educational resources and life skills she needs to reach her maximum potential, but maybe seeing as she is still just a 5 year old little girl, it may be wise to structure our time more efficiently. Of course we can become more flexible with our time again as Lillie gets older.

2 comments:

  1. You've just got to find whats right for you - you know your child better than anyone else and know what her needs are. Its a continuous learning process for all of us, isn't it?! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a continuous learning process for all of us!

    As much as I wasnt keen on the idea of having a 'routine', I have to admit Lillie does seem to be far happier already! And I kind of know what's what now! So we are both on the same page again (for now, lol)...
    x x

    ReplyDelete