Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Art, tiny sandwiches, spring, calpol & laughter

Things have been moving along at a tortoise's pace since my last post, however, Im sure we have all heard of the 'The Tortoise & the Hare' fable. Well to update on a few things from the past week, Lillie & I have had a brief discussion on aboriginal art which came about with her seeing the painting below. Its been on the kitchen wall for about 6 months now, Lillie has only ever said she likes it. But last week she started to ask questions about what the images within the painting were etc... The artist is my talented son Louis who created this piece when he was about 14/15. I originally hung it upside down which caused a laugh on Louis' part! Its meant to go from light (at the top ) to dark (at the bottom). I cannot remember why, so really need to speak with Louis about it again! But with him being at college on the day Lillie wanted answers, I had to resort to trying to recover from my memory bank what Louis had told me from way back. Nope it wasnt happening, all I could say was that it is a painting of a 'camp'! I suggested we go on the internet for more answers which Lillie happily went along with. We discovered that the white dots is a relatively new concept within this genre of art. The symbol at the bottom right of the painting represents four women seated together and that is as far as we got as Lillie lost interest & wanted to move on with checking out the DisneylandParis website lol... Lillie organised another teddy bears tea party - this time I had to make some tiny sandwiches for her alongside a jug of juice & some miniture choc chip cookies. Lillie wanted to use a cup & saucer that belonged to her great great grandmother Louisa. Well the cup & saucer originally belonged to one of the top London hotels or restaurants Louisa worked in. With being a head silver service waitress there were a few extra perks to the job!! All above board may I add!!


I too have done a few years working in the hospitality industry, including being signed up with a silver service waitressing agency in the City of London. Though unlike my great grandmother, I got fed up with the travelling so didnt accept regular work & stuck with local steak houses! My mum has also had several silver service waitressing jobs, so I wonder if Lillie will be the fourth generation to follow in Louisa's footsteps?
Spring has almost arrived....
Tiny buds starting to appear out in our garden.... Then Lillie spent three days with a high temperature, sore throat, weepy/bloodshot eyes & a snot filled bright red nose that looked like an image from comic relief! So most of the time was spent with her being sprawled out on the sofa or in my bed watching TV/DVDs & having regular doses of Calpol to keep her temperature under as much control as possible. Both my children have always been the type of kids who suffer from high temperatures & at times its meant a trip to the hospital which is scarey for any parent. We have also seen Louis quite alot over the last week or so - and the pic below is just one image Louis & I created during a mad half hour we had with a Red Nose Day magnetic car sticker & magnetic fridge letters!! Lillie wasnt that interested with joining in, but Louis & I carried on regardless....
Have a happy Red Nose Day 13th March 2009!! Check out the official site as there are some great activities & games for the kids of any age http://www.rednoseday.com/ Lillie gave some a big thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment