Sadly, the time has come to say Farewell to the Girls' Brigade Captain - she is retiring after over 25 years dedicated service. She will be very much missed by Lillie, but Lillie will still see her from time to time. Lillie presented her Captain with a lovely card, some chocolates and a little flowering plant at the last GB session before the Easter break. We think the Captain loved it and all the gifts before, during and after her final GB meet. Speaking as an adult, I think the Captain was somewhat overwhelmed and had difficulty holding back her tears. But, she did very well not cry, as I'm sure she was thinking about not upsetting the girls if they saw her tears.
Lillie has also been very busy with her studies - preparations for the 11+ are going well and lots of fun stuff thrown into the mix too. Maths has seen Lillie progress with her Times Tables - she has now reached the 7x table and has also been working on various forms of addition and subtraction techniques, including a quick and easy way of doing division. I have been advised to not use any 'time limits' on little tests just yet for Lillie, when using Xs tables, multiplication and division. Until Lillie has established her 'own way' of using a technique that she feels is suited for her, any 'set times' will be put on hold. I can relate to this from when I was learning the various forms of working out certain mathmatical questions. And to this very day I still use the techniques I 'clicked' with all those years ago. No two people are the same are they?
Literacy has also been going very well - Lillie has completed one of the puzzles I had cut out from a magazine, which I mentioned in my previous post. Further work on homonyms, pronouns, and common nouns, spellings and fancy handwriting - which included researching hieroglyphics, the quill, and Edward Bulwer-Lytton's famous saying, The pen is mightier than the sword' have also been covered and finally work on her first letter to her home schooled penpal in British Columbia.
A geography project has also commenced - Europe... Lillie has loved this project so far, which is constantly growing! So far she has researched European flags and written some interesting facts for Cyprus, Germany and Switzerland. All this work is displayed in a colourful large scrapbook - it has been written in/drawn in/coloured in, had info glued in and some decorative boarder work to illustrate her facts. All makes for a very interesting experience. Research has included: various websites, a children's Atlas and a book I own regarding Europe as a tourist.
And many thanks to Lina for all her support working alongside Lillie and I - I did find it strange to start with, as I have really been the only one supporting and assisting with most of Lillie's 'academic learning'. But, now I've grown used to Lina's help, suggestions and ideas. I may not follow all of them, but certainly take on board any discussions we have had much more easily now.
We have also had some very good news regarding the allotment we applied for back in February - to cut a long story short, we have a viewing in April and I have been informed there will be several plots to choose from. Lillie and I are so happy and we can't wait to put on our wellies, grab two flasks of hot drinks, some sandwiches and the tools and go get mucky up on our allotment. We expect a fair amount of 'clean up' work to start with, but pics will be taken and posted regarding our progress.
Other news to share is that Lillie and I have signed up to do the Race for Life 2013 - we can't wait to raise some money (target £100) for this worthy cause and enjoy a great morning of fun with like minded women and girls. If by chance any readers stumble upon this blog or you are a frequent reader, please feel free to donate on our Race for Life page - text donations are welcome too. Please see the link to our page or click on the 'donate now' button on this blog or please text QRGO61 followed by £2 (or more if you would like) and send to: 70070. Thank you so much in advance if this posting/blog brings any donations.
Right now, in this moment of writing, Lillie is at her Dad's for a week, as 'schools' are on their Easter break - I can't deny missing her, yet hope her week away is a funfilled one. As for me, I have Louis over for Easter Sunday, where we will have a roast dinner, a good catch up and a few battles of Chess - sometimes I wish I never taught him to play at the tender age of 6 - he is now such a hard opponent to beat!!! Plus, I have work and I think the 'me' time I have, will be a relaxing one and a time for reflection too.
Have a super and peaceful Easter to all those to follow it and a restful break to all those who don't, yet are on a break from school or work because of it...
Great blog :)
ReplyDeleteThank you - feel free to pass by again :o)
ReplyDelete