Firstly, I want to say how relieved I am that the mathematical questions on Christmas Eve were not a 'test'. It has been explained to me by the Social Worker, as a way to see that Lillie does know her numbers in the written form. And not to see if she can answer the questions. Not that I have a problem with her getting any sums wrong, because she does when we've worked together on some. I still get sums wrong from time to time!! It was just the whole idea of 'testing' that really got to me. Especially after his prior visit to our home which included some mental arithmetic questions Lillie answered, in addition to showing off some of her work on our kitchen wall.
I did apologise to the Social Worker and his boss, during today's visit, for being defensive when it comes to H.E. The truth is that I feel so strongly about our lifestyle and it excluding 'school' during the Primary years, these days. I've endured battle after battle about it. Yes, I've had plenty of support. Well more support than not. Opposition tends to come from the same place and I know I should have realised the Social Worker was not 'testing' Lillie in a negative light of Home Education. Nor in a positive light. He has to remain neutral. His job is to see that Lillie's entire welfare is inclusive of many things, education being one. He is not doing his report to take my side or Lillie's Dad's side. Which I knew from Day 1 - He is to report what's in the best interests of Lillie. I accept that and in respects to his role, I agree with this 100%. I come across this is in my job, so know from a professional perspective that the person in the centre of things is the main priority. Plus, I am Lillie's Mum and have always and always will want what's in her best interests in everything surrounding her life. And the latter is the reason I felt cross at the thought of any 'testing'. Yes, I test Lillie on things such as, spellings, safety issues and things we read etc. But, it's informal, fun based, not timed and we return to it at another day without pressure.
The rest of the visit was fine in my opinion. I was happy to answer questions etc. Obviously I cannot go into the details on the whole visit because it's not just about H.E. So, in regards to 'our' situation only time will tell when the next hearing occurs in March.
No comments:
Post a Comment