It's never been a banned subject to discuss school with Lillie. However, Primary School in my opinion and as Lillie's parent was not going to be an option for her from the age of 4, despite that one time we browsed the internet back in 2011ish for local primary schools. Lillie had shown unconvincing interest in going to school, this was confirmed when she slipped up and said it would make her Dad happy. The internet was immediately switched off. Search over. People may say Lillie's Dad has a right to input, regarding her education. Really? Legally, yes, morally, no. I have raised Lillie since day one; day in, day out and almost everyday. Her Dad never fought the idea of HE at the start (on repeat button here with this particular statement!!). Plus, I know her better than anyone. I listen to her, I guide her, I am there for her. And she has always known Secondary School would always be an option for her.
In my opinion, Primary School is just wrong these days. It's the testing and far too many subjects for little minds to absorb, that are at the forefront of my conclusions. Personally, I think it can lead to an academic 'burn-out' in senior years for some students or maybe many. I don't know the quantative answer on the statistics and feel more comfortable approaching this from a qualitative perspective on it all.
So, I guess I'm kinda saying that for almost 5 years, I've been mostly giving Lillie the Primary School years I received back in the 70s/80s. I only remember one form of testing - a spelling test once a week for what I think only occured in the first/second years in Junior School (year 3 and 4). The path to hard graft, so to speak commenced in Secondary School. It felt exciting at the time and like another step toward maturity. Of course I am not speaking for all my generation here, as I was aware 'hoppin' it' was going on. Not my scene, despite skipping that one Eng.Lit lesson!!
Anyhow, this afternoon, we browsed the net for local secondary schools. I have pointed out to Lillie that we're just looking around, as we may not even be living here next Autumn, when tours around schools for YR7 2014 intake starts. I just wanted her to see what's on offer. No pressure. No influencing any particular school. We looked at 4 and I'm not sure Lillie felt comfortable with it all. One did seem to fit her personality, but I am saying no more about it. I have said it to Lillie, but followed it up with, it's to be her decision on what to opt for and if it's school, the final decision is hers with which one. And I've aslo had to say in advance, if she does choose one, it's a case of applying rather than just 'getting in' to selected school. That's another whole new post if it occurs. But, for now, it's just window shopping.
No comments:
Post a Comment