Sunday, 6 January 2013

Let's break this down!!

It's 04:18 and I'm feeling somewhat unsettled again! Admittedly the cat woke me a half hour ago, requesting I let him out, but a particular recent event has reared itself in my thoughts. It's a Home Education based event. As any reader who may read this blog on a regular basis or those who know me in many other ways, as a relative, friend, neighbour, work colleague, as 'Lillie's' mum, a student or familiar face in the community will know Lillie is Home Educated.

Of course this involves many questions and answers - why wouldn't it? I questioned it when I wondered if it was legal for Lillie to be educated outside of school, back in 2007. I strangely never questioned the social aspect to it. I guess I wasn't of the belief there would be a negative social impact with so many people in the world walking the same Earth as us!! However, I knew the possibilities of a negative social impact within the 'state system', we all know as school. Moving on - At that time, in 2007 -  I was feeling dissatisfied with placing her into all but one of the local schools and dissatisfied with the 'state school system' runnings for the primary years. I found the answers to my questions, I listened to other HEdding families' knowledge and experience and now my own experience of opting for the alternative to school for Lillie since then has undoubtedly equipped me with a wealth of knowledge on the subject of education outside of 'school'. And may I add I am still equipped with knowledge regarding 'state provision' for educating our children!!

I had the support of Lillie's Dad at the beginning - he's even made very positive comments on this blog, back in the early days of setting it up, which may I add was seven months into the decision being made to HE. He also accompanied Lillie and myself on days out to various places that were all of educational value to Lillie. He also informed me that both his parents had responded to the decision by saying Lillie is better off not in school! Please feel free to check this out on various posts I have written and ones with his comments!! Positive, encouraging and supportive comments!! So, why, oh, why does he continue to deny he has ever agreed with it? Why, oh, why is it still an issue that requires those 'in authority' who do not know Lillie and/or I to somehow judge us? What exactly are they judging I wonder?

I have some idea after being informed by Lillie that the Social Worker who is assessing/reporting to the Family Courts regarding 'our' situation has for the second time 'tested' Lillie with some mathmatical equations, when he visited her at her Dad's home. This time on paper and when she had to talk 'alone' with the Social Worker. I was horrified. Why horrified, you may wonder?

Well, firstly - He admitted on his first visit to us that we are the first HE family he has come across in his job - Hmmm, perhaps some research would have helped create an idea of this lifestyle before he visited us. He is a Social Worker afterall. Despite this lack of HE knowledge, he had been made aware by myself further on into his visit that Lillie is not currently 'academically tested' on a formal basis and certainly not compared to another child/other children who attend school. This was in response to his question about 'testing' and how she 'compares' to other children in school. This 'comparison' is why I am thinking he has tested Lillie yet again. To see what category of 'academic intelligence' she falls into and how well I 'teach' her, which I guess will somewhere be included in his report of the HE issues, that are constantly resurfacing from the other side!! He had already asked Lillie some mental arithmetic questions on his first visit to our home, which I did not stop. I allowed the 'ticking-boxes' procedure to occur. Of course, I may be entirely wrong with my assumption he is comparing Lillie to school children, her own age. He may be supportive within his report regarding Lillie being educated at home. I don't know, but it's natural I would assume what I am. So, I shall continue on with my thoughts....

Secondly, if my line of thinking is correct then I do not believe around 8 mathmatical equations can determine one's maths knowledge and skills! Why maths in particular? Is he a maths teacher, tutor, lecturer who knows how 'to test/examine' and pass/fail a person's mathmatical ability according to their age, alongside being a Social Worker? Why did he not ask her to read to him? He saw some of her work displayed on our kitchen wall, why did he not ask her any questions on The Titanic or the environmental letter she received from our Borough's council? Yes, he did mention the glittery leaves she had made and added she could sell them in the high street shops, which I found an encoraging statement to make. But, he could have asked her more, don't you think? I ask this, because it's a fair question and I was happy for him to 'talk' to her about her educational pursuits.

Thirdly, from what Lillie has informed me is that a discussion evolved regarding Lillie stating that her Dad was 'for' HE all those years ago and she doesn't know why he won't admit it and has changed his mind. Furthermore, somehow the idea was put into Lillie's head 'to let it go, Lillie' and that maybe one of her parents is not telling her the truth. Excuse me? 'Let it go, Lillie'...? Are you for real? 'Let it go, Lillie'...? This is my child's life we are discussing here. What is she being taught here? Why should she dismiss this FACT. Why should she not QUESTION it? She is aware her Dad supported this lifestyle to only then retract it. The proof is here, on this blog. In her memory. From discussions she has had with me. And then to go on to state that maybe one of her parents is not telling her the truth. Yeah, that's damn right one of her parents is not telling her the truth. She knows it's her Dad as do I and so does her Dad know!! But, is it a Social Worker's job to actually say that to her? In those words? I'm not so sure about that. It leaves the idea hanging without finding out who the 'lying culprit' may be. But, let's not forget it was the Social Worker who stated prior to this comment to 'Let it go, Lillie'....

Lastly, let's break Lillie's educational background and life down - what has been 'my' input? And what does Lillie know educationally?

I assisted Lillie to read, write, to develop her vocabulary, where to gather information from, develop ways of problem solving, introduced her to cooking, gardening (including growing our own fruit/veg), the environment and environmental issues, musical instruments, games of various kinds, computers/internet, places of interest, take her to various clubs, suggest particular books to read together/independently (fiction, non-fiction, factual, educational etc), include her in activities around the house to ensure her life skills are constantly developing, include her in activities outside the home to ensure her life skills are constantly developing, encoraged her and still do to ask as many questions as she wants/needs to, to participate in discussions, to express herself creatively and imaginatively, to be aware that she can do anything if she puts her mind to it.... The list is endless. And there is the financial aspect to it - I fund all of Lillie's educational materials etc and will pay for all of her future subject correspondence courses aswell as her exams when the time comes to sit them as an external candidate. But, the most important thing I have taught Lillie, I would say, is that she knows she will always have my respect, support and encouragement, wherever her life's path will take her.

What does Lillie know educationally? That's simple to answer - she knows what she wants/needs to know. She disregards what she doesn't want/need to know. She follows what interests her at her own pace. However, she is aware that particular aspects in life need to be followed and that there are time limits for certain things. She is gaining knowledge and developing skills every minute of the day. Afterall, education is a lifelong process... I have and will continue to provide Lillie with the 'tools' so to speak, however, Lillie's real 'teacher' is within herself.

Of course, I shall bring my thoughts up that I have shared here, this morning, with the Social Worker when he visits next. He may well read this post before then, as I have provided him with this blog website address. I have one final thing to conclude with - I am a firm believer in education, (my academic background is evident of this) but it does not only come from what a person can answer on paper nor what the memory can recall when being tested. Education is far, far bigger than that....

No comments:

Post a Comment