Sunday, 19 May 2013

Happy 100th Birthday, Elsie

Today is my client's 100th Birthday. Elsie's family invited me to the celebration to mark a very important day in a very special lady's life. Lillie was allowed to accompany me too, which she thoroughly enjoyed. We sat with some of Elsie's close family and friends - most of which I know and two who have come all the way from Australia and knew all about me!

Elsie arrived soon after all the guests had. She was very overwhelmed and back tracked her entrance. After some encouragement, she made her way back in and circled the room to say hello to everyone. I've been off on a week's holiday from work and as soon as she saw me, she gave me a big kiss and asked when was I back! She met Lillie for the first time and gave Lillie a kiss too.

It was a while before she found her way to her seat and had a much needed cuppa - guests began taking so many pics and Elsie enjoyed a cuddle with Henry. Henry is not only Elsie's next door neighbour, but was the youngest guest at the party. There is a 99 years age difference between Elsie and Henry. She loves him so very much and is always so happy to see him. I think the feeling is mutual.

 
Elsie sitting down after her walk around to say hello to all her family and friends

 
Ruth and Peter - Elsie's lovely neighbours

 
Sylvie and Mick - Elsie's nephew and niece-in-law

 
Lillie and Pat - Elsie's lovely neice

 
Elsie's eyes lit up when the birthday cake arrived! The candles were lit and to some of our amazement Elsie made a speech. I for one was surprised as she has told me several times she wouldn't make one! Her speech was eloquent and sincere and I know I am not the only one who got choked by her words. She really is a wonderful lady.


 
Elsie making her speech

 
Lillie and the youngest generation getting ready to have their pic taken with Elsie

 
Me and Pat toasting a very special lady

I did manage to get a few minutes with Elsie and her praise for me to her friend, when I approached her was very sweet. Yet again, Elsie's words choked me. I can't wait to see her tomorrow morning. I did take her birthday card and gift along today but have brought it back home. There were many gifts for her already. Ruth suggested I take it to her tomorrow as I'm back to work. She said she would have opened her others by then. I'm glad I've taken Ruth's suggestion because I know Elsie will be chuffed to have something else to open when I see her tomorrow. I shall also take my camera so she can see the pics I took of her special day. When it was time for Lillie and I said our Goodbyes, Elsie told me not to be late in the morning! She also told Lillie to drop by again sometime and kissed us both goodbye.

 
Lillie enjoying herself while I got a few minutes with Elsie

 
Lillie was told by Marie and Karen - Elsie's niece and great-niece to bring home some table balloons (This pic was taken when we got back home)

Today has truly been a memorable day for so many. Elsie is a well loved lady and I can honestly say, which I have done also to Lillie, there are not many people who get to celebrate someone's 100th birthday with them - we have and it will be a day never to be forgotten. All that's left for me to say is...

A Very Happy Birthday, Elsie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment